It has been shown that, on average, charities receive about 40% of their total yearly donations in the last three months of the year. Some organizations report receiving almost a third of their yearly gifts in December alone!
At the United Way of Southeast Missouri we know that the winter season can be rough on the individuals and families that we serve every day. Our funded partners go the extra mile to ensure the homeless are warm while they sleep, the at-risk students are fed during the holiday breaks and that seniors are well cared for during the cold months.
We also know that while you love giving back, there’s only so much you can do – so let us help you figure out the best route for your year-end donation! Check out our 5 tips for giving back this holiday season:
- Shop online to earn donations! Did you know that The United Way of Southeast Missouri is partnered with AmazonSmile year round? On average, 25% of holiday shoppers will spend between $500 and $1,000 on gifts each season and 75% will shop online. AmazonSmile is a simple and automatic way for you to support the United Way of Southeast Missouri every time you shop at absolutely no extra cost. You find the exact same low prices; the exact same selection of items and the exact same ease of shopping with the added bonus of having a portion of what you spend go directly to United Way. It’s easy – visit smile.amazon.com and start shopping!
- Do you know someone who is consistently hard to shop for? Give the gift of humanitarian aid! Instead of spending hours trying to find the right gift, donate to a cause they care about in their name. With 24 funded partners and over 30 partner agencies, we’re sure you’ll be able to give the perfect gift this year. Plus, we will even send a special card to your recipient letting them know just how meaningful their gift is to the people who benefit from your donation.
- Use your voice to spread holiday cheer! One of the best things you can do for your favorite charity is to speak up and educate your neighbors on the great things they do year round. Challenge your family to a little United Way trivia – see if they know $.99 of every dollar gets invested back into the counties we serve, or see who can name the most programs in 30 seconds. Whether you include a note in your holiday cards or use our social media and online tools to share our promotions, every little bit you share helps!
- Donate before December 31st to receive tax benefits on your next return. While donors always give from the heart, it doesn’t mean that there can’t be some added return on that worthwhile investment! To qualify for a deduction on your 2017 return, make sure your donation is processed by December 31, 2016. Send checks to The United Way of Southeast Missouri in early December, or grab your phone right now and call (573) 334-9634 or text GiveWhatMatters to 41444. Don’t forget, unrestricted monetary donations are the best way to ensure the causes you care about are able to plan for the year ahead!
- Volunteer! Whether you’re looking to spend a few hours ringing bells for the Salvation Army or want to dive in and host a winter clothing drive at your workplace – there are plenty of opportunities to make a difference right here in Southeast Missouri. Your time is just as valuable as your treasure and we can’t wait to see you #StrengtheningOurCommunity!
How can you help the causes you care about this holiday season?
Share your ideas in the comments below!
Want to give a holiday gift to The United Way of Southeast Missouri now? Donate here.